This casserole is made with ingredients and supplies that can be found in Bishkek.
- 1 tbsp butter
- about half a large head of cabbage, cored and sliced thin
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1½ cups milk
- 4 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup crumbled rye bread (~2 slices)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- plenty of Tony's
- Shredded mozzarella
- Light match, turn oven on, keep on a ~lowish light (350F/170C).
- Grease a ~26cm pie dish.
- Melt 1 tablespoon of butter in a large pot over medium heat.
- Add cabbage and onion, cover, and let cook for 20 minutes (until tender), stirring often.
- Add milk and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Gently pour in eggs, stirring constantly.
- Stir in the bread crumbs, and the salt and some Tony's; mix well.
- Pour into pie dish and top thoroughly with mozzarella.
- Bake in preheated oven for 30 minutes, or until golden brown and heated through.
- Best served warm