This Southwestern Cornbread is made making do with ingredients and supplies that can be found in Bishkek.
- ~110g butter (1 stick)
- ~2/3 cup white sugar
- 2 eggs
- an onion
- 1 chilli pepper
- a few scallions
- a can of corn
- ~1 cup kefir (U.S.: replace with 1 cup milk)
- ~½ teaspoon baking soda (U.S.: replace with 2tsp baking powder)
- ~1 cup cornmeal
- ~1 cup all-purpose flour
- ~½ teaspoon salt
- Light match, turn oven on, keep on a ~lowish light. Grease a ~26cm pie dish.
- Dice onion, chilli, and scallions
- Melt butter carefully in skillet. Remove from heat and stir in sugar. Add eggs basically immediately and mix until well blended.
- Combine kefir and baking soda and stir into mixture in pan. (U.S.: just mix in milk)
- Mix together cornmeal, flour, and salt and baking soda/powder; add into liquid mixture until well blended and few lumps remain. Add diced veggies and corn.
- Pour batter into the prepared pan, bake in the preheated oven for 30 to 40 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.