Indiana University Amateur Radio Club or K9IU is the w:amateur radio club at w:Indiana University, Bloomington. The club is involved in a wide range of amateur radio activities, including contesting and local community service (for example, the w:Hilly hundred).
Facilities and services
The club maintains a fully operational radio room / ham shack on the 6th floor of the w:Indiana Memorial Union's west tower (the "student activities tower"), with two w:high frequency (HF) w:transceivers. Antennas include an HF w:Yagi antenna (Mosley Pro67 installed in 2017) and various wire antennas including a Template:Convert wire with an Icom AH-4 remote auto-tuner located on top of the tower where the shack is located.
Template:As of, due to roof repairs on IMU, the main VHF voice FM repeater is housed at the IMU stadium press box tower, utilizing a Yaesu System Fusion D1X repeater with 25 watts output, a WaCom band-pass / band-reject (BpBr) duplexer, and a Sinclair DB224 repeater antenna providing a 6 dB omnidirectional radiation pattern. The repeater is capable of receiving either traditional FM or digital C4FM signals and rebroadcasting those in standard FM mode. The repeater is used for on-campus activities as well as serving as the Monroe county ARES/Skywarn backup repeater with full emergency battery power.
The multi-mode digital repeater is housed at the Brisco dorm roof, operating using a Diamond F-718 antenna and a UHF Yaesu DR1X repeater along with w:Raspberry Pi, Pi-Star,Template:Define? and MMDVMTemplate:Define? board to provide w:D-STAR, YSF,Template:Define? w:NXDN, APCO P25 and DMR capabilities. The 146.940 repeaterTemplate:Which? operates in "node" mode, providing additional input to the multi-mode digital system. The multimode system is tied into the Southern Indiana Network (SIN).
The club meets formally on the last Sunday of the month, at 7 p.m., at the K9IU ham shack.
In the early 1920s, the physics department had been licensed under the call 9YAG. The club was founded by 1925 and was licensed under the call W9IU by 1930. Later, the club's call was changed to K9UAN, and in 1960 it moved to a shack at the Indiana Memorial Union. The club's current call sign, K9IU, was issued in 1962.